Yesterday was a perfect day to stay at home and do some baking. Stina looked out in the morning while we were getting ready for the school run and said “I am not going out in that!!!!” yeah I felt the same but off we went. Nice to have a day at home with the girls during the afternoon and of course a perfect day for baking.
A few years ago my aunty had made some beautiful bakes and this was one of them. Six months later or so it popped up on my Instagram feed, I do follow quite a few wonderful bakers. So I gave it a go and yes it sure is a winner.
A few Swedish names are kladdkaka med falsk toscatopping, chokladkaka med kokostopping. A chocolate base with a caramelised coconut topping. Yes it works beautifully together and it is rather addictive, one piece is not enough, ten is too many (trust me on that one).
As you know I bake mostly Swedish bakes and this is one of those so let me do a quick converter thingy.
1 dl is 1 deciliter which is 100 mililitre (100 ml). I hope that works out ok for you.
1 dl = 100 ml
- 175 gram soft salted butter (please go for good quality butter)
- 3 dl caster sugar
- 1.5 dl cocoa powder
- 0.5 dl golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 dl plain flour
- 75 gram butter
- 1.5 dl golden syrup
- dash of milk or cream
- 3 dl caster sugar
- 200 gram desiccated coconut
Now time to bake…
- Heat oven to 175 degrees
- Mix the butter and the sugar fluffy
- Add cacao powder and golden syrup
- Add eggs, one by one (one egg, mix, next egg… you get the point)
- Fold in the plain flour
- Baking paper in a oven tray (needs edges and needs to be a bit bigger, one you would use for a traybake)
- Bake in the middle of the oven, recipe said 30 min I had it in for 20 min and it was a bit over done. Test with a stick and it should still be a bit gooey in the middle.
- Let the cake cool down a bit
Time for the topping
- Melt butter, sugar, milk and syrap.
- Let it boil for about 5 min
- Add coconut and let boil for a minute
- Add on top of cake
- Back in the oven for about 10 min or until topping starting to get a bit of colour.
Cut up in suitable slices and enjoy.